Tuckers Hall was built and has been owned by the Guild of Weavers, Tuckers and Shearmen since 1471, but the earliest record of a Guild of Clothworkers in Exeter is 1459, when a dispute with the Cordwainers as to antiquity and precedence is recorded.

Read more ...In 1471 the Exeter Guild of Weavers, Fullers and Shearmen was given a plot of land here in Fore Street by William and Cecilia Bowden. The Bowdens’ gift lay half way between the city’s historic centre and its manufacturing district, known as Shilhay or Exe Island. The Guild regulated the woollen cloth trade in Exeter, which made the city (and Devon) wealthy and a centre for international trade.  The woollen cloth trade thrived from the 1430s until the end of the 18th century; at times making Exeter the third richest city in the country.

Read more ...Tuckers Hall has not always existed for the exclusive use of the Incorporation of Weavers, Fullers and Shearmen. In its past it has been used as a chapel, a storeroom and a meeting place for local Freemasons.

Read more ...From 1459-2011 the Hall has been constantly renovated, repurposed and even confiscated by a monarch!

By the mid-1800s Exeter’s woollen cloth industry had declined, the Incorporation’s membership had fallen and Tuckers Hall was in poor shape. In 1853 a survey of the building made a worrying discovery: the front wall was leaning 28cm (11 inches) from the perpendicular and was in danger of collapsing.

Read more ...In 1931 the modern world came to Tuckers Hall with the introduction of electricity, while part of the old world was re-discovered when medieval wall paintings were found hidden beneath the oak panelling of the upper chamber.

Throughout the remainder of the 1900s, Tuckers Hall fought off a series of threats ranging from death watch beetle, dry rot and fire, to the Blitz of May 1942.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

History Links and Downloads